Thursday, February 07, 2013

Our Salt Lake Trip--Part 4..Hill Air Force Base Museum

Our last stop on the way home! 
This whole trip was kind of nostalgic for me. 
I can remember going to Hogle Zoo with my parents and grandparents,
 as well as the ZCMI mall.
My grandpa also stop here once with me and I can remember getting to go inside one of the cargo planes. 
I wanted my kids to have some of those same memories!

We thought this would be a fun stop! It would give the kids a chance to run and we could see all the cool things and learn a little history all in one!


All of the really big fighter and cargo planes were outside. They were really cool to see and to learn about. 

You then move inside to see a whole lot more!!!


We kind of laughed at the hi-tech machinery that was once involved in the running of the base. 


This held special interest to Anthony and me (what historian won't find this fascinating!).  Anthony's great- great-great- great grandfather's was Navajo. They had an amazing exhibit all about the Navajo speakers and how they used their language to pass codes because it was ...well... unbreakable! 



This made me think of Superman and Clark Kent! 


All my super people!
As you can see, Matthew refused to wear any shoes. Julia soon followed suit! 


The wheels of one of the cargo planes! 
I never understood just how big these were! 




These two are best friends and I love it! I'm so glad that they have each other!

Poor Matthew sometimes gets left out but they do good to include him! The 3 Musketeers!
I'm not sure why he is crying in this photo. 

Our attempt to get a photo with me and the kids. Doesn't happen often.



To help keep the kids busy in the car, I made each of them a fun travel bag with puzzles and other activites. Matthew got to have a roll of masking tape! Keeps him busy un-doing and and pulling out tape! 

We decided to get some freeze-dried ice cream in honor of the space program! It was pretty good! 


3 comments:

Sara Birch said...

Your trip looks so fun! I need to take my kids to the church history museum. We've never been there in the 4 1/2 years we've lived here. Wish we could have seen you guys.

Sara Birch said...

Your trip looks so fun! I need to take my kids to the church history museum. We've never been there in the 4 1/2 years we've lived here. Wish we could have seen you guys.

Michelle said...

I love it -- your family trip looks like it was such a blast!