Saturday, May 10, 2008

Help Others Bump into the Church Online

At our graduation commencement Elder Ballard talked about spreading the word about the LDS Church through the Internet. He mentioned that there are people that the missionaries can't get to easily like those who live in closed neighborhoods. He said something to the effect that there is no easier way for someone to bump into the church than on the Internet. Read about his address.

He counseled us to get out and participate in the discussions about the church online -- like on news websites.

My Thoughts and Invitation

One thought I have (this is Anthony) is that while we may not have time to be actively participate in discussions online about the church, one thing we could do is make it easier for people to bump into the church through our blogs. (A note on that: Since probably most everyone who reads our family blogs is probably LDS, you might think about promoting the church through your "non-family" blogs (if any) because you are probably more likely to get visitors who are not members of the church to those ones. But I'm not saying not to promote the church on our family blogs either.)

On our family blog and my TipsForTheTaking blog I have posted a feedreader that shows the latest news from the church on the side of the page.

Here are a few resources I have found that might help other people "bump into the church" through blogs:

News Feed Widgets:

These can be posted on your blog to show headlines from the official LDS Newsroom:
Icons relating to LDS or Mormons:

The thought here is maybe icons could be placed on the side of blogs and link them to LDS.org or Mormon.org.
Other

Articles you might enjoy

Any Ideas?

If anyone knows of any other LDS-related widgets or graphics or something that can help other people bump into the church online, please post them.

Also any and all thoughts are welcome!

2 comments:

Tina said...

I totally agree, that is the only reason we are not puting ours private! Thanks for all the good other sites, I need more on mine! Thanks

Amy said...

Alisha!! I love your idea of a yard sale!!! I have been talking about it to Nathan for a VERY long time now, and if we did it together that would be so much easier!! Let us know what you decide because we would love to do it with ya!! And thanks for the idea about singing time. That is a very good idea. Did you know that the Petersons started going to the family ward, so I only 3 kids again, and only 1 consitently shows up!!!! Great! Back to where I started!