Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The Craziness that is Life!!

Have you felt like life is on fast mode and that you don't even have time to grab a breath? Or the energy or the strength? About a month ago, we were all recovering from a terrible chest cold. I was sleeping on the couch because I found it easier to sit up and sleep. Julia woke up and we fed her and then it hit! My chest tightened up and I felt like I couldn't breathe!!! I had Anth give me a blessing and afterwards I felt that I needed to go to the ER. We had a friend run over and stay with the kids while we went to the ER. The pain was so intense and I was trying my best to stay calm so that I could get as much air in my lungs as possible. I was finding it a little hard though!! Anthony actually ran red lights and stop signs! We were that scared!!! (We haven't ever done that.... even when I was in labor!) Good thing it was 1:00 am! We got to the ER and I knew I was going to be sick! Anth opened the door and  I proceed to spill my guts, literally!!! The amazing thing was afterwards  the pain was gone! I walked into the ER and felt great. I wasn't sure what to do. Anth had called from the car so they knew we were coming. I was a little embarrassed! But as I sat there waiting my turn, the pain started to come back! By the time I got on the bed in the room, I couldn't breath! (I was aware enough though to noticed that I had lost twenty pounds since having Julia when I stood on the scale! I wanted to do a little jig...that is until the pain almost knocked me over!) After taking blood and doing a chest exam, it was concluded that I had had acid reflux attack brought on by my indulging (okay, overindulging) in mint chocolate ice cream cake leftover from Anth's birthday! How humiliating!!! I had to go to the ER because I ate too much ice cream!!! Come to find out that mint and chocolate are among the two worst things to eat when you have acid reflux! The question that was unanswered was why did I have it?

Well, the next morning through an ultrasound it was discovered that my gallbladder was full of gallstones!!!  I was recommend to go see a surgeon and it was concluded that I would lose my gallbladder. I had surgery about two weeks ago and I do feel alot better! I had over a hundred stones! Gross, right? Can you  believe that they kept them for me to take home?  I can eat what I want now! (I was on a low fat diet for two weeks until my surgery! So hard when you have two family reunions with tons of fat enriched foods!) It's been two weeks and I basically back to normal! I was laid up for about a week. I am so thankful for my mom and my sweet sister-in-laws that all pitched in and helped me out.

I have learned that I am not invincible and that I need help. I have learned to accept help when it given and to be wiling to allow others to help me. I have learned that there is no shame in being afraid of surgery and that all things will work out if I have faith.

3 comments:

Deanna said...

oh, my goodness!!! Sounds awful!!! Glad you're doing better!

Rachel Holloway said...

How crazy! Sounds like my experience with having my appendix taken out a couple weeks after giving birth. There are some crazy post birth internal organ stories out there!! :) Yours is definitely one!! Hope you are feeling 100% now!!

Sara Birch said...

I had no idea you were so sick! I would have called to check up on you. Hope you are feeling a lot better now. They say that you are most likely to have gall bladder problems when you are pregnant or in the postpartum phase!