Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Moment of Truth

At the end of January, Peter started bobbing his head and blinking his eyes. When we asked him to stop, told us that he couldn't! We became worried after the three day and decided to see our doctor, who recommend that we see a neurologist. The neurologist wanted us to get a series of tests, including an EEG, MRI, and a blood test. The EEG was about a week later and involved us waking up Peter about 3:00 am and keeping him awake until after the test was over. We got pretty creative with a methods. I got up first and we started making an ABC book. (You know, the kind where you cut out things that start with the letters of the alphabet.) Then we watch TV until we got drowsy and then we finger painted until we couldn't anymore and then more TV. When I couldn't stay awake anymore, I woke up Anth and made him give Peter a bath. His hair had to be clean for the test anyways. On the way to the hospital we sang songs and tried to keep him awake. After the EEG, he was suppose to get a MRI but couldn't when the anesthesiologist found out he had strep throat. To make it short, we finally got the MRI on Friday and found out all the results today. (Sorry to everyone that already knew all this!)


Both the EGG and MRI came back normal! ( I will admit that a part of me, a small part, was unhappy to hear that because of all the money they cost us!) His blood test came back with a high strep count. So the doctor has concluded that Peter has a type of strep that doesn't affect his throat but other parts of his body. It can mess with the brain and cause it to have ticks. He prescribed an antibiotic for 6 weeks!!!! Twice a day for TWO WEEKS! I can hardly remember to give it to him for ten days! This could be a little hard! But the good news is that he is okay! Before we found out what the results were our options were either a tick, seizures, or pressure on his brain. I'll take what we were given and count my blessings!! The Lord has blessed so much and I feel so indebted to Him for everything that he has done for us and Peter!

The other moment of truth....

I had my ultrasound today and its a .....

I feel so blessed today! I am so excited but I feel like I'm in shock. I was totally (okay, not totally but pretty darn) convinced that the baby was a boy. I kept telling myself that. I had accepted it and now . . . wow! And now, I only have one thing to say...

BRING ON THE SHOPPING!!! PINK HERE I COME!!!!

19 comments:

Kirsty Michaelis said...

I totally know how you feel! When the ultrasound tech. told us we were having a girl I actually thought I heard her wrong. Then Ryan asked her to check again just to make sure because we were 100% positive it was a boy, we even had our name chosen. Even after she confirmed it was a girl I got another ultrasound 10 weeks later just because I couldn't believe it and I didn't want to spend a ton of money and be excited about having a girl and then after delivery them saying "its a boy!", I just didn't think my heart could take it. Its funny how we convince ourselves that we know what we are having but how delighted we are when we are wrong. You will have to send me your address so I can send you a little pink package :).

Unknown said...

WOW! I'm so excited. That's great news about Peter, and great news about the baby. I was really worried about Peter, and you. I am definitely an overreactor and let my imagination get the best of me, so I could feel your pain of not knowing and suspecting the worst. Ugh, bad trait for me. Anyway, about the baby, I was sure Isaac was a girl, we didn't find out with him. I wasn't too disappointed when he came out, though I was surprised. I'm finding out this time. I can't handle the suspense.

Have fun shopping! Girls clothes are so much fun to buy.

Sara Birch said...

YEAH!! I am so excited for you!! You give me hope that one day we will get a girl! I am so happy to hear that everything is going well for Peter...he has been in our prayers all the time.

Nancy said...

YAY!!!! I'm very glad that Peter's results were good. I was worried. But I am SUPER excited that you are having a girl!!!! We will have to have a baby shower for you now! Since this is your first girl! Congratulations on the exciting news!!

Aleisha said...

wahoo! You deserve it my friend! after three boys anyone deserves a girl! They're so fun anyways. Everyone loves boys, but a mommy has got to have someone on her side once and a while! Congrats!

Tonya said...

AHHHHH! How so exciting. I wish I was there to go PINK shopping with you! Oh, you're gonna have so much fun!! YAY for pink, YAY for Girls and YAY for 3 big brothers to spoil her, or tease her:)

As for Peter, yay that he's okay. I'm glad the other problems were ruled out!

But yay for a girl. I am so happy for you!

Deanna said...

Oh, I am so excited for you!!!!!


I have also convinced myself that we're getting another boy, maybe because I don't want to be let down??? LOL! We'll have to get together to do some pink shopping or sewing...if we're gonna both get girls! LOL!

And I am glad your other little one's tests came back normal. :) I can't imagine!!!

Idaho Millers said...

Oh I am so relieved!! I could hardly sleep last night. I know what we are doing for our girls night( shopping trip) out! Pink here we come! Congrats, I am so happy for you.

Brandon and Emily said...

I am glad everything is ok with Peter, but I can see how that would be frustrating. And so glad you finally get a girl. That will be so much fun. Have fun shopping. I look at all the girl clothes, even though I only have boys.

Haylee said...

Your poor little peter, that boy has been through a lot! That would be quite the scare, but I am so happy to hear that all was well.

And in other news, I had no idea you guys were even expecting! Congrats! A little tietjen girl will be adorable!!! :)

Thomas Family said...

Congratulations! Girls are so fun! And we are so glad to hear that Peter only has strep!

Rachel Chick said...

Oh, Alisha! I'm so glad that Peter is okay!!! What a relief. Hooray for your other news! But I'll tell you now, girls are not easier than boys. :) They each come with their own personalities . . . LOL! I'm excited for you to get to dress up your little lady and have bows and dresses and "outfits" (whatever that is! :). I'm happy that both results brought you a smile today!

Amy said...

Oh Alisha!! Congrats! I know you've been waiting for this for a loooooong time!! Good luck not spending a fortune!

Krysta McClure said...

Here's to good health and pretty in pink! Congrats!

Melissa said...

I hope Peter feels better soon and his symptoms don't return. Congratulations on having a girl! That is so exciting. We are expecting our 3rd girl in June. Your post gives me hope that we will have a boy one day!

The Special K's(0: said...

HURRAY!!! WONDERFUL NEWS! Congratulations! And I'm so glad your sweet Peter is getting taken care of(0: Love and hugs!

Patty said...

Yeah Alisha I am so happy for you on both accounts. Please let me know if you need anything.

Jared, Ashley, Caleb, Jacob, Abby, and Lizzy! said...

Hurray!!!!! Congradulations! If you send me your address I'll buy you something pink!! It would be so GREAT to come down and visit everyone again! And poor Peter, Poor you and anthony! I can't imagine what I would do in your situation, probably freak out! But caleb fell out the window yesterday, luckily he just got a scratch on his tummy! Fun times being a mother!! But congrats again!

Anonymous said...

Alisha, I need to come see you sometime. Congrats on the girl, my mom told me that news. :)