Friday, March 08, 2013

Spud Day Parade


Anthony told one of my sisters-in-law that there are two events in September that you can't miss no matter what! Big Monson traditions...
The State Fair and the Spud Day Parade! 
We went to the fair this year but I left my camera in the van and so sorry about no photos! It was fun and a fun experience that I love sharing with my kids. 

The morning of the 'big" parade! Every year right before the harvest of the potatoes begins, they have a parade and activities in the park to celebrate the harvest! Our kids love the parade and I don't mind it either since its short (about 20 minutes) and I don't worry about them getting trampled when running out to get the candy the floats throw. 

Peter showing off one of his finds!

The whole crew!

Grandma Monson explaining to Matthew the best technique for collecting candy!


My Dad got this horn forever ago! Its loud and annoying and perfect for parades! (He also loves to use it at girls camp to get the girls up and moving... wasn't so popular there!)

Each of the kids took a turn but no one can blow it like Grandpa! He used it to gain the attention of the float riders so that we could get more candy! 



Aunt Rachal taught us all the right way to cheer to get the most candy as well! Demonstrating her wave and two thumbs up! 
 
Matthew trying out her technique!

The other great thing about the parade is the seeing all the cool way that they bring the ideas of potatoes to their floats!

Miss Russet


Always a crowd favorite! 
The Go Carts!!
They haven't been around for years but they made a re-appearance this year!

 






Some of the floats and trucks were just a little two noisy for some!

Peter showing off his spoils! 

Andrews bucket!
We had enough candy to fill TWO gallon baggies that I gave out at Halloween and still have a large bowl full to eat for ourselves! 


Look at his smile! 
Perfect contentment!



1 comment:

Ashley said...

Yay candy at a parade!! In Utah they never threw candy to us by standers!! And here in Arizona we didn't even have a 4th of July parade cause it was too stinkin' hot! I miss candy at parades!